The ANU Science Teaching & Learning Centre supports innovative and creative teachers who apply their ideas to their teaching approaches.
Our vision is to create and sustain a rich teaching and learning environment in the Joint Colleges of Science for both teaching staff and students. An environment that embodies excellence and innovation in teaching; integration of research and teaching at both undergraduate and graduate levels and collegiality and shared experiences in teaching and learning for all science academics. We will support and value our teaching staff by providing them with development opportunities and a resource rich environment as well as recognising and rewarding excellence.
Science at ANU is committed to providing consistently high quality learning experiences and outcomes for all our students and to support our academic staff in achieving these objectives. The following goals are designed to help us to direct our teaching and learning to ensure a successful learning environment for all our students:
- Develop the capabilities and resources available through the Science Teaching and Learning Centre;
- Evaluate and create new initiatives to support student learning;
- Provide professional development opportunities to Associate Directors (Science Education) and other teaching staff;
- Coordinate the introduction and development of new approaches to teaching and learning in Science;
- Recognise and reward excellence;
- Develop and support sponsorships and scholarships.
Excellence in education
Science at ANU has many innovative and creative teachers who apply their ideas to their teaching approaches. The most important outcome of these approaches is improved student learning and we are collating data to demonstrate the successful approaches used by our academic teaching staff.
This excellence is demonstrated through:
- Teaching Awards won by our teachers at the College, University and Australian Office of Learning and Teaching (OLT) levels;
- Teaching grants awarded to our teachers, both University (Teaching Enhancement Grants and ANU Linkage Grant for Teaching and Learning and Australian OLT;
- Educational Fellowships awarded to our staff to develop their teaching initiatives;
- Strategic teaching initiatives that focus on effective student learning such as the Peer Assisted Learning Project and the introduction of digital learning technologies, MOOCS, and variations of the ‘flipped classroom’ teaching approaches in our course delivery;
- Advanced programs for high achieving students like our very successful Bachelor of Philosopohy (Honours) (PhB Hons) program.
Our Teaching and Learning Awards celebrate the excellence of individuals and teams and promote learning and teaching across the University. They are an important part of recognising the contributions of a wide range of staff to the student learning experience in the Colleges of Science.
Those who teach in the College are eligible for the following teaching prizes offered by the College, the University, and the federal Office for Learning and Teaching.
Grants & fellowships
Teaching and Learning grants give our staff the opportunity to undertake collaborative research and development projects which enhance the quality of teaching and the student experience of learning. Grant opportunities are made available to staff to facilitate innovation, collaboration and to disseminate good practice.