The Science Student Ambassador program is an exclusive opportunity for outstanding and outgoing students to become actively involved in the promotion of science at ANU. In addition to accessing exclusive networking opportunities and gaining valuable professional experience and training, the role of the Student Ambassador is a paid casual position within science at ANU.
Under the broad direction of the Senior Officer, Student Recruitment, Ambassadors are expected to positively project science programs at ANU to prospective students, parents and teachers.
- Attend a training day in orientation week (February 2016)
- Work at ANU Open Day 2016 (27 August)
- Be willing to be profiled, photographed and videoed for ANU promotional activities
- Be a current ANU science student with an excellent academic record and broad knowledge of their area of study or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or training (Note: students can be studying a double degree)
- Share your knowledge and experiences of studying science at ANU with prospective students.
You may be asked to provide advice on:
- Bachelor degrees and/or graduate programs offered by the ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Your area of study
- Living in Canberra
- Accommodation, services and resources on campus
- University life and any other aspects of your ANU experience
Provide support to the Science Marketing & Communications team at exclusive College events:
- ANU Open Day
- Canberra Careers Expo and other major expos
- Write reports on the outcomes of recruitment activities
- Alumni events
- Graduation receptions
- Student welcomes/tours
- Public lectures
- ANU advisory days
- Careers exhibitions and school visits
- And more
- Be enrolled in either an ANU science undergraduate (Bachelor) degree or in a Graduate (Grad Dip/Masters/MPhil/PhD) program for both semester one and two of 2016.
- Have at least one semester of results available at the time of application.
- Not be currently employed as a student ambassador by other areas of the University.
- Be committed to promoting ANU as an institution of academic excellence
- Have high level of customer service skills and ability to work with a range of people
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to speak in public
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgement, including an ability to refer enquiries to senior staff as appropriate
- Have a sound understanding of administrative processes, including an ability to organise and manage projects to completion
- Demonstrated knowledge of desk-top based programs, eg word processing, established spreadsheet or database applications
- Demonstrated general knowledge and understanding of equal opportunity principles as they relate to employment
- Be able to give presentations on student experience at ANU to potential students, teachers and parents at high schools and colleges throughout Australia
- Provide information and advice on the student experience to prospective students at tertiary information sessions and ANU events nationally
- Assist the Marketing and Communications team in setting up and coordinating recruitment events
- Undertake general office duties including photocopying and word processing
- Be available to travel and work non-standard hours (a current Australian drivers licence is necessary)
- Comply with all ANU policies and procedures, and in particular those relating to work health and safety and equal opportunity
We are seeking applicants who can demonstrate the following qualities
- Enthusiasm and initiative
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- A proven ability to work effectively both within a team environment and independently as required
- Excellent public speaking skills will be highly regarded
For more information about how to become a Science Student Ambassador please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
Thanks for your interest in ANU Science Student Ambassador program, recruitment into the Science Student Ambassador Program occurs on an annual basis. Candidates will be assessed based on the quality of their initial online application (which includes some short response questions and a curriculum vitae), their academic performance and background, as well as their performance during an interview if selected for this round.
Complete the online application form.
On completion of the application please send your CV to email@example.com with the subject line 'SA - Name (UniID)'.
To be considered for the program, applicants must meet the following selection criteria. Section 5 of the online application will ask you to respond to the following questions. Please use full sentences in your answers (Minimum 100 words per question).
- Why did you choose to study at ANU/Science and what do you think sets ANU apart from other universities?
- What inspired you to choose your particular degree and how would you describe it to a potential student?
- What do you like the most about your program? Provide an example of a memorable class/lecture/tutor/etc.?
- In addition to studying, what have been the best aspects of your time at ANU so far?